Have you been looking to make a change? Have you been job searching but you have found yourself in a slump? Here are some tips and tricks to get yourself prepped for new opportunities and New You!!!!
- Make a plan. Where would you like to see yourself a year from now? How about 5 years from now? Once you have an idea…draw a roadmap. What are the things you need to do to get there. Make the plan one that is SMART – Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and has a Time Line to it.
- Review your resume. If you have been using the same resume with minimal results – there is something wrong. Re-vamp it, or get a professional to do it. Make sure it “Speaks” what you are looking for, highlights your qualifications and shows an absolute match to the type of role you would be applying to.
- Be prepared to make your job search your new job! There is a lot of competition out there, be prepared to be in it for the long haul. Don’t give up – stay positive, keep your head held high…you have skills, now go get ’em! If you are currently working, you will need to set aside time each day to push and continue embarking on your quest for your new role. If you are not currently working – set aside specific hours that are geared to execute on your plan.
- Brush up on your interview skills. How do you interview? Are you polished? Are you confident in your interviewing skills? If not – enlist a professional to assist you in your preparation. It is worth the investment in your future.
- Look for motivation. A job search can be time consuming and can be a long tough road. Look for things to motivate you. Create and celebrate milestones whether it is an interview, steps to get you closer to your goal, or… What are the things that help motivate you during tough times? Going to the gym? Hanging with friends? Inspirational Quotes? I have printed off inspirational quotes and put them on the mirror so that I see them each day…do what makes sense to keep you motivated.
Get all of this in line and be prepared to make your effort count! Surround yourself with people that are positive and network with those that can help you propel your career forward. You can do it! This is YOUR year! Good luck!